What happened in the financial news world this week? Here is a quick summary of the money-minded stories from our favorite news sites and blogs:
- The Myth of the Single Credit Score from LifeHacker – I’ve blogged a LOT about credit scores and their importance, the types of credit scores, etc – this is a definitive guide to what you need to know and what it all means. As they say, the more you know…
- What is a Good Credit Score? from Generation X Finance – More credit score coverage…
- Credit Karma Review by Generation X Finance – Why EVERY consumer should be using Credit Karma and why you are fool not to – according to Gen X Finance.
Student Loans & Debt
- Ready for Zero explains how the CFPB is stepping in to help students saddled with loans in Beyond the Payments: How the CFPB is Helping You Take Real Control of Your Student Loans
- With SoFi, Fellow Alums can Help you Refinance Student Loans – Money Under 30 previews an interesting new way to refinance you student loans by leveraging your alumni network. Isn’t that was higher education is supposed to be all about?
- 403b Loan – How to Borrow Money Form Your Retirement Plan also on Generation X Finance – a great explanation of a 403b Loan, what it is, the pros and cons, vs. a 401K, and how/whether or not you should borrow against it.
- Note: for a more detailed explanation of 403b Loans, check out Generation X Finance’s full article here.
- Note: Don’t have a 403b? Have a 401K and you want/need to borrow against it? Generation X Finance tells you how here.
- Pros & Cons of Using a 401K to Buy A Home as seen on the DoughRoller
- Maximum 401K Contribution for 2014 Announced – Generation X Finance – it’s the same as 2013 – $17,500. Find out why the IRS is holding this number steady.
- A Guide to Becoming Really, Really Ridiculously Debt Free – As Seen on Johnny Moneyseed – Yet another how-to guide. I will never get enough of these and I will continue to post and repost them. Why? Because it’s all about timing – if one person reads this and is in the right frame of mind to *hear* the advice and actually becomes debt-free, then I’ve done my job!
- Moolanomy always has a practical to-do or how-to list chock full of great advice. This week is no exception – 15 Steps to Financial Success Plan
Mortgages & Home Ownership
- Low Down-Payment Mortgages are Back – Enough said! Read this great post on the DoughRoller
- The Dough Roller’s A Review of Quicken 2014 from a Complete Quicken Newbie
- LifeHack’s 7 False Assumption that Most Job Seekers Have
- What the heck is a “Frugal Filter” and Why You Should Have One – on WiseBread
- Jay-Z’s Tips on Productivity from LifeHacker – Jay-Z is right on with his advice so Listen Up! (especially to his budgeting philosophy…) The guy didn’t get to be a bazillionaire by not knowing what he was doing…
- Use Amazon Pricing Matching to Save Money While Shopping as seen on The Simple Dollar – and take it from me – this practice saves pennies – and a whole lot more! So, save away while shopping and then you’ve got extra $$ for your rainy day fund…